Step 9: Creating Users & Assigning Roles
In this article
Users are internal people who log into JobTracker. Each person using JobTracker should have their own username and password to accountability and track change history on Jobs. Users can be assigned one or more Security Roles. Roles determine which areas a user can access such as Accounts, Jobs or Quotes, and whether they can create, read, update or delete data in those areas.
When adding a user, one option is to give the user Administrator rights. It is best NOT to make everyone an Admin User. Admin Users have total access to the system, including adding and deleting other users, changing passwords, viewing your Moraware invoices, etc.
To give read access to a non-employee, add them as an External User.
For further details on Security Roles and External Users, see Related Articles.
Reminder: Every user needs to either be an administrator or assigned a role, otherwise they will not be able to access anything when they login.
- From the main JobTracker Menu, click Admin and choose Users.
- Click the New User... button.
- Complete the details for the new User.
- User Name: the name the employee will use to log in. It is a good idea to use one word with no spaces.
- Password: the password the employee will use to log in. You might use "Password" as the initial password for every user but check the "Must Change Password" option so they will be forced to change it.
- Confirm Password: re-enter the same password to prevent a mistake
- Full Name: (optional) the employee's full name
- Email Address: the employee's email address - required for password reset link
- Assignee: (optional) the Assignee associated with this user. If selected, the user will see a shortcut for [Myself] when editing activities.
- Salesperson: (optional) the Salesperson associated with this user. If selected the user will see a shortcut for [Myself] when a salesperson can be selected.
- Administrator: (optional) check this box to make the user an administrator
- Roles: Click Select... button to right of Roles field and check the box next to each desired role
- Login from anywhere: (optional) Deselect this check-box to specify login locations * use caution with this setting
- Must Change Password: (optional) check this box to force user to change their password upon initial login
- Cannot Change Password: (optional) check the box to remove the Change Password option from this user's menu bar
- Click OK