Step 2: Schedule An Activity
Activities are the engine and transmission of JobTracker. If you commit to entering and updating Activities, then JobTracker will prove a powerful vehicle to drive your business operations.
Decision Required. As you see, JobTracker comes with Template, Fabrication, Install and Invoice pre-loaded and added to new Jobs.
- Many of our customers schedule only these steps over the course of a Job, while other customers find it necessary to schedule additional steps.
For example, some might choose to replace the single Fabrication step with multiple steps like Program, Saw, CNC and Polish.
- We strongly recommend keeping things as simple as possible, especially as you’re getting started. You can always add more steps later.
- We also recognize, however, that you won’t commit to using JobTracker unless it reflects the way you really do business.
If you decide to customize the Activities, see the Related Articles section at the bottom of this guide - or contact us if you want help thinking it through. We're here to help!
Now let’s schedule the Template Activity on this first Job.
- From this Job Details window, click Template and choose Edit Template.
- In the Edit Job Activity window, enter the Date, Time and Duration of the Template Activity. We suggest that you leave the Status marked as Estimate unless you have already Confirmed the date and time with the customer.
Note: If the expected duration of an activity is longer than a single work day, you will need to use the Activity Series feature covered in our online Help. For now, enter a duration that is shorter than 8 hours.
- If you are ready to assign the Template Activity to a specific person, click Select.
- Click New Assignee to add the name(s) of your Template staff. Enter names and click OK.
- Check the person assigned to this Activity and click OK.
- Click OK in the Edit Job Activity window.
- By default, we have Fabrication, Install and Invoice set to AutoSchedule based on the day you schedule Template. Notice that the Status of those Activities reads as AutoSchedule, so everyone on your team will know that those dates are not firm - but when they view the Calendar, they will be able to see what work is in the pipeline! We find that AutoSchedule saves time and makes it easier to ensure that nothing falls through the cracks.
If you're already familiar with the AutoSchedule feature and you want to change the rules or turn it off, see the Related Articles below. Most fabricators do find it useful, however, so we suggest giving it a try for a week. You can add it to your list of questions for next time we talk!