Define Account Custom Fields
Track additional information for each Account by creating Custom Fields. For example, say you have several Home Depot accounts and you want to view or report on their jobs as a group. Create a "master account" field with a "List of values" data type and add values like Home Depot, Lowes, Retail etc.
Your new field will display in the Account Info section of the Account Detail page for all new and existing Accounts. If you delete a custom field, any information that had been entered for that field will also be deleted.
- Go to Account::Edit Settings
- In the Account Custom Fields section, click the New Custom Field... button
- Enter a name and select one of the following data types:
- Auto-number - use to automatically assign the next sequential number. Use the checkbox to indicate whether values should be generated for existing accounts. You have the option of assigning a number to all existing accounts or just new accounts. If you change the data type of an existing custom field to auto-number, you have the option of assigning a number to all existing fields that are blank. Fields with existing values will remain unchanged.
- Currency - use for fields you may want to summarize on reports, only numbers are allowed. The field will print with a currency symbol and 2 decimal places.
- Date - use to ensure a valid date is entered and allow reporting based on dates
- Link - use for a hyperlink to a website, or the location of a file or folder on your network. For a website, use the complete address such as http://www.moraware.com. For a folder on your local network use the format \\machinename\sharefile\foldername.
NOTE: The names cannot contain any spaces. Local network links aren't supported by Mozilla Firefox. Use Internet Explorer instead.
- List of values - use when you want to define the values for a field such as Account types
- Multi-line text - use for long data entry fields such as notes
- Number - use for fields you may want to summarize on reports, only numbers are allowed
- Separator - use to create section dividers on the Account Detail page when there are many custom fields
- Text - use for data entry fields up to 80 characters
- (Optional) To display your new custom field on the Accounts, Jobs or Calendar pages:
- Go to Account::View Accounts, Job::View Jobs or Calendar::View Calendar
- Click the Options... button
- Click Select Fields... button and check the fields to display. Drag & drop the fields to change the order
- (optional) To save this view, click Save View... type a name and click OK
- (optional) If your field has a data type of "List of Values" or "Date", you can also use it to add a filter.