In this article
Auto-Schedule is used to automatically assign a date to an activity based on the date of another activity. It helps fill in your calendar and might show you that you have more work to do than you realized!
The start time is assigned based on your work hours. You can view/change your work hours under Calendar::Edit Settings. Basically, the auto-schedule depends on how you've set up the dependencies. The time falls into one of three slots.
- If the dependency is set some to some number of days after another activity, it'll show up in the first available work hour.
- If it's set to some number of days before another activity, it'll be in the last available work hour
- If it's set to start directly after another activity, it shows up immediately afterward
For example, if your work hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm, an activity auto-scheduled for 1 day after would be scheduled at 8:00am. The first time slot in the morning. An activity auto-scheduled for 1 day before with a duration of 30 minutes would be scheduled at 4:30pm. If the duration is 60 minutes, the activity would be scheduled at 4:00pm. If the duration is blank, auto-schedule treats it as 30 minutes.
Work hours are defined under Calendar > Edit Settings (see related articles) and are independent from Scheduling Hours:
- Select Job::Edit Settings menu
- Click the Activity Type, select Edit Activity Type 'activity name'
- Change Status to Auto-Schedule, optionally specify a Duration and Assigned To. Click OK
- Click the Activity Type and select Add Dependency to 'activity name'
- Select the criteria to use for the dependency
- Un-select Also apply reverse dependency to prevent the dependency rule from working in both directions
- Select Ignore for Auto-Schedule to receive a warning when a dependency rule is violated but not have a date automatically assigned
Example 1: Fabrication automatically scheduled based on Template date
Once the Template date is entered, the Fabrication date is automatically populated.
Example 2: Fabrication automatically scheduled based on Install date
Once the Install date is entered, the Fabrication date is automatically populated.
Example 3: Fabrication auto-scheduled based on Template or Install date
Once the Template and/or Install date is entered, the Fabrication date is automatically populated.